Why we love Canabalt
Canabalt is a beautifully simple and genre defining game which is precisely why we had to include it in our choices. As far as runner's go, this is and will probably always be the best. The timing, the pace, the atmosphere, and the intensity of this game are all just perfect. Epic soundtrack (Danny Baranowsky), gorgeously simple mono graphic style and perfect sound design (it would be easy to write an article on the sound alone). A truly awesome game by any standard!
- Smashing through that wonderfully crisp sounding glass
- Those pitta, patta foot steps on the crane
- Massive screen shaking, rumbling ships blasting by
- Alien bomb drops (and their awesomely subtle warning sound)
- Use Headphones splash screen
- The tiny little huhhhh!! with every leap
- Tweet gloating to all of your friends
- Discovering that you can actually control your speed with a well timed box impact and then getting really good!
- Taping to retry your daring escape
If you're reading this and you haven't bought Canabalt already, then you should probably throw your phone in the bin ;)